It’s the season of love with Valentines just around the corner. And to get into the occasion, the kids and I made Valentine Paper Lanterns. It is one of the easiest art activities for kids ever. And it’s perfect for school aged kids who can draw Valentines themed designs. Toddlers and preschoolers can definitely join in too. But they are more likely to create doodles or non-Valentine themes, which is totally fine too.
Valentine Paper Lanterns
What you need:
How to make Valentine Paper Lanterns:
- Cut out straight strips of wax paper, approximately 10-15 cm. wide.
- Fold the wax paper strip into half, then into quarters. Open up the wax paper and fold the 2 outermost sides inwards, using the existing creases as a guide.
- Let your child draw Valentine themed designs on the wax paper using oil pastel. Encourage your child to smudge the oil pastel with their fingers for a more translucent artwork effect when lit up.
- When your child is done with his/her artwork, re-fold the wax paper. Tape the 2 outermost sides together where they meet.
- Open up the wax paper. Reinforce the folds so that the wax paper forms a square.
Let the square stand. Place a battery operated tea light in the middle of the square. And admire the beautiful translucent designs of these Valentine paper lanterns. Wouldn’t these look beautiful and sweet on a Valentine’s Day dinner table?
This craft is part of the Kid Craft Challenge Blog Hop. Visit all these other amazing blogs to see their Valentine themed crafts….
- Washi Tape Hearts by The Resourceful Mama
- Crepe Paper Heart by My Bored Toddler
- Heart Painting Print by CraftCreateCalm
- St. Valentine Paper Puppet (printable pattern & tutorial) by Maria Magdalena Living Ideas
- Heart Suncatcher by Raising Little Superheroes
- Valentine’s Day Heart Wreath by Raising Fairies and Knights
- Valentine’s Day Advent Calendar For Kids by Play Dough & Popsicles
- Valentine Luminary by The Gingerbread House
- Valentine Paper Lanterns by Kidz Activities
- Valentine’s Day Playdough with a free printable by Crafty Mama in ME
This post contains affiliate links.