These nutella banana puff pastry parcels are so yummy that it will surely be a hit with your kids. Make some for dessert or afternoon tea – or both! It’s one of the best kid friendly recipes there is. And it’s so easy that your little ones can help make them.
What you need to make nutella banana puff pastry parcels:
- Nutella (or any other chocolate/hazelnut spread of your choice)
- Banana, sliced horizontally
- 2 Puff pastry sheets (this will make 32 nutella banana puff pastry parcels)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Icing sugar for dusting
How to make these nutella banana puff pastry parcels:
1. Pre-heat the oven at 180 degrees Celsius.
2. Slice one puff pastry sheet into 16 squares.
3. Place a teaspoon of nutella in the middle of each square, then top with a banana slice.
4. Carefully bring the 4 corners of the square together, pinching those corners together and pinching the open seams of the pastry together as well. Brush the pastries with egg so that the nutella banana puff pastry parcels get a nice golden brown color while baking.
5. Put the puff pastry parcels in the oven for approximately 15 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Dust the puff pastry parcels with icing sugar. This is best done by putting a small amount of icing sugar in a small strainer then shaking the strainer over the parcels to create an evenly spread out dusting of icing sugar.
Can your kids make these nutella banana puff pastry parcels? Yes, they definitely can! Here is a rough guide as to which tasks are age appropriate for a specific age group:
- Toddlers are young as 2 years old can easily spoon nutella onto the puff pastries (expect this to be messy though!). And they can definitely help in putting the banana slices on each puff pastry.
- Kids as young as 6 years old could assist in slicing the puff pastry into squares and in sealing/pinching the sides of the puff pastry.
- And kids of all ages would love to be able to brush some egg on the parcels – or as my kids call it, ‘paint’ the parcels with egg.
- Dusting with icing sugar is another favorite that can be done by young toddlers.
Let your kids make these nutella banana puff pastry parcels with you – it will be messy, but it will definitely be more fun! And best of all, it will give them lots of happy memories of quality time spent with mum or dad.