Chinese New Year 2016 is in a few weeks. And this year, we are entering the Year of the Monkey. So to expose the kids to this event, I decided to make a Monkey Paper Bag Puppet with them. This is one of the easiest Crafts for Preschool that your kids can make. All this craft involves is cutting and sticking. This monkey paper bag puppet craft for preschoolers also involves shape recognition, because the monkey’s parts are made of circles, ovals, a heart, a spiral tail.
Monkey Paper Bag Puppet
What you need to make a Monkey Paper Bag Puppet:
- Monkey Puppet Printable by Kidz Activities
- Brown Paper Bag
- Glue stick
How to make the Monkey Paper Bag Puppet:
- Print the Monkey Puppet Printable. If your child is old enough, have him/her cut out the shapes.
- Take your brown paper bag. Fold the sealed end down, creating a front flap. We folded ours approximately 9cm from the end, but it doesn’t have to be this exact.
- Let your child glue the monkey shapes on to the brown paper bag.
- On the top folded flap:
- Start with gluing the monkey ears on the sides of the folded flap.
- Then glue the monkey’s face on.
- Then glue the heart shape, which includes the eyes in the middle of the monkey’s face.
- Glue the oval nose & upper mouth area on top of the heart shape.
- On the bottom part of the monkey puppet:
- Glue the tummy in the middle.
- Then glue the semi-circle shaped lower mouth just beneath the folded flap.
- Glue the tail at the bottom part of the paper bag.
- On the top folded flap:
After the glue dries, encourage your child to place his/her hand through the opening of the brown paper bag. With his/her small hands, s/he can make the monkey paper bag puppet talk and move it’s mouth to open and close.
Nursery Rhyme Idea: Create 5 of these monkey paper bag puppets. Have 5 children hold one monkey paper bag puppet each. Then let the kids’ monkey puppets sing, dance and act to the Five Little Monkeys nursery rhyme. This can also be an extension of the book Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed.
This post is part of the Year of the Monkey, Chinese New Year Blog Hop hosted by Peakle Pie. Check out all the other amazing Chinese New Year or Monkey crafts and activities you can do with kids….
The Gingerbread House shared a cute Chinese New Year paper plate monkey
KiddyCharts shared these wonderful Dragon colouring pages
Kelly’s Classroom shared a brilliant Year of the Monkey Coloring Sheet
Peakle Pie shared a striking Red Monkey Mask
Witty Hoots shared these colourful Chinese New Year Lucky Fish
Kidz Activities shared this awesome Monkey Paper Bag Puppet
Creative World of Varya shared this adorable Year of the Monkey Door Hanger
Mama Smiles shared some favourite Monkey Picture Books
In The Playroom a musical Chinese New Year Shaker Craft
Play & Learn Everyday shared these festive Chinese New Year Mini Lanterns
Simple Fun for Kids shared a great game with Chinese New Year I Spy Game
This post contains affiliate links