Playing with play dough is one of those kids activities we highly recommend. Aside from keeping young minds and hands busy for hours on, manipulating play dough strengthens the fine motor skills of little hands, while extending your child’s imagination. It is a wonderful play based learning tool, letting kids explore concepts such as letters, shapes and numbers through play. Best of all, it is an inexpensive kids activity, especially if you make your own play dough at home.
How to Make Play Dough
All you need are the following:
- 2 cups plain flour
- 4 tablespoons cream of tartar
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 cup salt
- 2 cups water
- Food coloring
Mix all the ingredients in a sauce pan, stirring over medium heat for 3-5 minutes or until the mixture comes together and forms a dough. The trick is to keep stirring until your arms can take it, as this will create a soft, smooth dough, rather than a clumpy, sticky one (great for some muscle tone, mums!). Let it cool, and let your kids experiment and enjoy! It’s that easy.
For the play dough to last for months, store it in an air tight container when not in use.
Kids activities to extend play dough fun
- To help extend your child’s imagination with play dough, allow him/her to use some kitchen items, such as a roller, cookie cutters, measuring cups, plastic spoons, or even your child’s cooking toys or tea sets. Young children love to pretend to cook, modelling what they see in a parent, and will proudly show you the ‘dish’ they have made using different colored play dough.
- Boys might even enjoy manipulating play dough with their trucks, such as dump trucks, pretending to ‘pour some dirt’ onto another container.
- If you buy number or letter shaped cutters, this will be a great way for your child to recognize and learn their numbers and alphabet in a fun way. The best thing is they wouldn’t even realize they are learning while playing.
- Also, invest in a few inexpensive play dough specific toys, such as the Playdoh Fun Factory or an even cheaper alternative, these Dough Tools – 5 Piece Set.
These simple toys allow your child to manipulate play dough into various shapes and sizes, extending kids fun with play dough.
The possibilities are endless with these sorts of kids activities. Do this simple kids activity with them regularly, and you will play a bigger role in extending their imaginations, allowing them to learn from you. So experiment, create, decorate, build and have fun with play dough as a family.
Do you have more ideas on how to extend play dough for more fun and learning? We’d love to hear from you!
Kidz Activities is a site filled with kids crafts, art activities, play based learning ideas, kid friendly recipes, birthday party ideas and parenting tips. We love sharing ideas that can help parents enjoy their kids through fun, simple, inexpensive yet creative activities.