This is a very easy Letter M Craft, which is perfect for exposing preschoolers to the letter M. But it is easy enough to be a craft for toddlers too. It is also easy to set up and mess free. In the end, they come up with a Mosaic Masterpiece, beautiful enough for young kids to feel proud of.
What you need for this letter M craft:
- A piece of paper with a letter M cutout. Do this on your own or print this free letter M printable and cut out the middle portion.
- Small pieces of paper in different colors and textures. You can also cut leftover wrapping paper or paper from catalogues.
How to make this letter M craft:
Set this up first for your toddler by sticking the contact on one side of the paper.
Then with the sticky side facing up, encourage your toddler to stick different pieces of paper onto the contact. Encourage him/her to fill up all the spaces. Overlapping and using various colors and textures is great.
What your toddler learns through this letter M craft:
- Fine motor skills. It takes a great deal of effort for a toddler pick up small pieces of paper with his/her thumb and forefinger. Picking up small items strengthens these fingers which prepares them for writing in the future.
- Hand-eye coordination. Carefully putting each piece of paper onto the contact exercises a toddler’s ability to place things purposefully onto a certain spot. The use of contact eliminates frustration of having items fall off (versus using glue where young kids sometimes miss putting glue on certain spots).
- Exposure to letter M/m. As something additional, say the letter M sound and words starting with the letter M as your child does this activity. If s/he mimics the sounds/words you make, then that introduces him/her to the letter M sound as well.
Letter M Books:
Here are some books that emphasize the letter M, which you can then read to your toddler before or after the letter M craft activity (affiliate links).
To get more letter M activities, head over to The Measured Mom for her comprehensive collection of letter activities.
Kidz Activities is a site filled with kids crafts, art activities and play based learning ideas. We love sharing ideas that can help parents enjoy their kids through fun, simple, inexpensive yet creative activities.