Create these easy Minnie Mouse cupcakes for your child’s next birthday. Little girls will love the pink icing and the little Oreo ears of this kid friendly recipe. Perhaps the most challenging part of this cupcake is making the white bows (ribbons) of Minnie Mouse. So we included step by step photos on how to make Minnie Mouse bows for cupcakes using white fondant icing. So read on and try to recreate these easy Minnie Mouse cupcakes with your kids.
What you need to make these easy Minnie Mouse cupcakes:
- Chocolate cupcakes
- Vanilla icing and red food coloring (or simply use ready made Strawberry icing if available)
- White ready-to-roll fondant
- Mini Oreos
- White soft sugar pearls
Other materials that will come in handy to make these easy Minnie Mouse cupcakes:
- Piping bag
- Rolling pin
How to make these easy Minnie Mouse cupcakes:
Preparation: Bake the chocolate cupcakes and give them enough time to completely cool. Here is a link to our favorite chocolate cake recipe, which contains instructions on how to make them into cupcakes.
1. If you purchased white vanilla icing (instead of strawberry icing), add a few drops of red food coloring into the white icing. Mix the icing and red color mixture to create pink icing. The amount of drops you add will depend on how pink you want your icing to be. When you are satisfied with the color, place the icing mixture into a piping bag. And pipe the icing onto the top of the chocolate cupcakes, creating a spiral design.
2. Add white soft pearls all over the pink icing. Separate a mini Oreo into 2 pieces. Place on top of each cupcake. These will form the ‘ears’ on the Minnie Mouse cupcake. Kids will love to help doing this step.
3. And now for the trickiest bit… How to make Minnie Mouse bows for cupcakes using white fondant icing: Roll out the fondant to about 3mm thick. Then using a knife, simply cut small rectangles, about 3 centimeters long and 1 cm wide. Then cut a thin strip of fondant about 1cm in length. A teaspoon is placed beside photo no. 1 below to give an idea of the sizes of the cut up fondant.
Delicate fingers are the most important thing to remember at this point. So maybe an older child or an adult should do this. Hold the bigger rectangle on the longest sides with your thumb and middle finger. Then with your pointer finger, gently push the back of the fondant to create a very slight curve. Then place the thin strip of fondant on the top middle and gently and ever so lightly press. We stress on the word gently and ever so lightly, because if you press hard, the thin strip of fondant will simply merge with the bigger rectangle, creating nothing but a rectangle with a thick center.
When working with fondant, remember to work as fast as you can. If left open, fondant icing will dry out. Once it is dry, you can no longer mold it into shape and will simply crack or crumble. Tip: Only have a small amount of fondant on your bench top. Cover the rest in cling wrap to prevent it from drying out. And another tip: If you are using fondant for the first time, remember to sprinkle the bench top and rolling pin with icing sugar or corn flour when working with the icing. This prevents the fondant from sticking to the surfaces.
Top the white bows on each cupcake and viola! – Cute and easy Minnie Mouse cupcakes for your child’s birthday.
Did you like these easy Minnie Mouse cupcakes by Kidz Activities? If you did, get more ideas of things to do with your kids by Following Kidz Activities on Pinterest and Liking Kidz Activities on Facebook.