This easy crumbed chicken recipe was a hit with my kids. The kids loved the crunchy texture of the chicken. And it was easy to make – easy enough for my 8-year-old to help out in preparing the dish. Consider this a healthier alternative to chicken nuggets. For this kid friendly recipe, I use 2 pieces of chicken breast, which is plenty for my family of 5. It is enough to feed everyone dinner plus 2 lunches the next day.
Ingredients for this easy crumbed chicken recipe:
- 2 pieces chicken breast
- 1 cup flour (approximate)
- salt & pepper
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups breadcrumbs (approximate)
Method for the easy crumbed chicken recipe:
1. Slice the chicken breast crosswise, around 20cm thick per slice.
2. Lay the chicken breast slices flat. Then with a mallet, pound the chicken till it is approximately 2cm thick. The chicken will become wider as it is pounded thin.
3. Season the flour with salt and pepper. Mix well.
4. Create an assembly line by putting the flour/salt/pepper mixture on a plate, the beaten eggs in a shallow bowl and the breadcrumbs on a plate. Dip the chicken pieces on the flour first, shaking off the excess. Then dip onto the egg. And lastly, coat with the breadcrumbs. Tip: Use one hand for the dry ingredients (flour and breadcrumbs) and another hand for the egg. Less ingredients will stick to your fingers using this method.
This is the yield of 2 pieces of chicken breast… At this point, if your family will not consume all of the crumbed chicken, you may freeze it this way. Then when you need a quick meal, simply remove from the freezer, let it thaw and shallow fry as normal.
5. With a little bit of oil, shallow fry the crumbed chicken pieces, approximately 2 minutes per side or until golden brown.
Serve with tomato sauce and enjoy with chips or a side of carrots, corn and peas.