Do you have tons of leftover gift wrapping paper from the Christmas season? I’m talking about those odd bits that are too small to wrap anything in. Here’s an idea. Turn them into DIY Magnetic Bookmarks. This is one of the easiest and simplest crafts for preschool kids. It’s easy enough for toddlers and preschoolers to make. But school aged kids will also enjoy decorating and making their own ones as well.
DIY Magnetic Bookmarks
What you need for these DIY Magnetic Bookmarks:
- Gift wrapping paper scraps
- Cardboard or old folders
- Any other craft items for decor
- Clear Contact
- Flexible Magnet Tape
How to make DIY Magnetic Bookmarks:
- Cut the cardboard or old folder into approximately 1.5 x 7 inch strips. Fold the cardboard strip in half.
- Spread glue stick all over the cardboard strip. Let your child decorate by sticking strips of gift wrapping scraps or other craft decor you have on hand. My preschooler glued on strips of gift wrap paper, then stuck flower cut outs on top. While the older kids decided to cut out the images from one of the gift wrappers: foxes, flowers, birds. And they used this to decorate their DIY magnetic bookmarks.
- When your child is done, cover their work with clear contact. This protects their artwork, plus it makes the bookmark more sturdy.
- Cut 2 pieces of flexible magnet tape (approximately 1-2 cm wide). Peel of the adhesive backing of the first piece of magnet tape. Then stick this to the bottom interior of one side of the bookmark. Place the other magnet tape on top of this piece. Peel of the adhesive tape. Then press the other end of the bookmark down, to allow this end to stick to the other side.
And that’s done! Easy DIY Magnetic Bookmarks made by kids, to be used by kids. The kids loved their creations and put them to use right away. One of them said they loved it, because the magnetic bookmarks didn’t fall off the book, no matter how much they shook or flipped through the pages of the book.
Find some more awesome ideas on how to recycle and create with gift wrapping paper!
Stick Puzzles by Teach me Mommy
Gift Wrap Flowers by Peakle Pie
Gift Paper Frogs by Nemscok Farms
Scissor Practice and Games with Gift Wrap by Powerful Mothering
Coiled Paper Heart Craft by The Gingerbread House
Paper Beads from Wrapping Paper by Mum in the Madhouse
Scissors Skills Crash Course by Sugar Aunts
DIY Magnetic Bookmarks by Kidz Activities
Paper Collage with Flower Punch by Words n Needles
This post contains affiliate links