Have you ever felt overwhelmed with the ‘busy-ness’ of the Christmas season? – the shopping, the gift wrapping and the many get togethers. Don’t get me wrong. I LOVE Christmas. And I especially love Christmas even more now that I have kids. I love seeing Christmas through their eyes – their excitement, watching them open their presents, their anticipation of Santa. But over the years, I’ve wondered… In the middle of all the festivity and joy, am I able to teach them the Real Meaning of Christmas?
So this year, I felt it was time to step back and do something that will help my children anticipate not just the presents and Santa, but the coming of Jesus Christ, our Saviour. And to help them prepare for this, we created this DIY Advent Calendar with a Free Printable.
DIY Advent Calendar
The purpose of this DIY Advent Calendar was to help my kids think of others by praying for them, to allow them to reflect on their actions towards others, to encourage them to show their love for those close to them and to be thankful for their blessings.
Christmas Preparation Printable
I created this Free Printable – I guess I could call it our Christmas Preparation Printable. This Free Printable contains prompts for each day of December to help the kids pray for someone, be thankful, be sorry or to do something special for someone. You can make your own prayerful prompts or you can simply use our one by clicking on this link >>> Christmas Preparation Printable
Now to make the DIY Advent Calendar where the kids can open a Christmas Preparation prompt for each day. To make it fun and interesting, we made this Christmas tree shaped Advent calendar made of various scrapbook paper and colored paper.
DIY Advent Calendar Christmas Tree
Making this DIY Advent Calendar Christmas Tree is very easy.
All you need are:
- Scrapbook paper or colored paper > cut into squares, approximately 10cm. wide
- Scotch tape and/or blue tac
- Silver marker
Simply follow these steps:
- Position the square paper diagonally (diamond shape) and face down.
- Fold the bottom part to reach almost the top, but still leaving a small gap.
- Take the right side of the triangle and fold across.
- Take the left side and fold across also. Secure this with scotch tape.
- Number the folded paper from 1 to 25, to represent each of the 25 days of December (the 1st till Christmas Day).
- Using blue tac, stick the folded pieces of paper on a wall, forming the shape of a Christmas tree.
- Print the Christmas Presentation Printable. Cut, fold and insert within the flaps of the DIY Advent Calendar Christmas Tree.
Everyday, starting the 1st of December, let the kids take the inserted piece of paper out. Encourage the kids to pray, reflect, think or act according to the prompts of each day. These tasks are centered around preparing our souls to anticipate Christ’s arrival through prayer, acts of kindness, charity/love, sorrow and gratitude.
Through this DIY Advent Calendar, I can hopefully remind our kids about the true meaning of Christmas. So that despite all the excitement over the gifts, parties and busy-ness, they will remember the real reason for the joy and celebration.