Are you looking for simple, educational things to keep your young kids busy while in a restaurant or on the plane? Try putting together this Color Pattern Busy Bag. It’s great for preschoolers who already know their colors and are starting to recognize patterns. Why is this play based learning activity bag great? Not only will it keep your preschoolers busy, but pattern identification and pattern creation are introductions to basic math skills. Many mathematical concepts, such as times tables, addition and skip counting, require an understanding in patterning.
Color Pattern Busy Bag
What you need to create your own Color Pattern Busy Bag:
- Free Printable Color Pattern Busy Bag Cards <<< Click on this link to get the Free Printable
- Craft Buttons or Pom-poms or any small object in varying colors
- Laminating machine or Clear Contact Paper
- A small bag or ziplock to put everything in
Color Pattern Busy Bag Preparation:
- Print the Color Pattern Busy Bag Cards (Free Printable, just click on the link). Cut along the lines.
- Laminate or cover them in clear contact paper
- Put the laminated cards and buttons or pom-poms in a small bag or ziplock
And it’s ready to take and grab when you need to keep preschoolers busy in a restaurant or on the plane.
How to Play:
Encourage your child to place buttons or pom-poms on the circles that already contain color. This in itself is a great color recognition activity, that even younger kids (2-3 year olds) can do.
When they reach a white circle with a question mark, encourage your child to put in the next color based on the color pattern. This encourages them to think and complete the pattern based on the existing color pattern.
Wasn’t this a simple yet effective busy bag for preschoolers?
If you’re looking for more play based learning busy bags, try this Printable Number Busy Bag, which develops number recognition and counting skills.