Looking for a quick set up game for preschoolers? Try this Block Stacking Dice Game. All you need are dice and blocks. It doesn’t get any easier than that. This is a great play based learning activity because preschoolers are encouraged to count and stack blocks, which in itself has many benefits.
Block Stacking Dice Game
What you need:
I highly recommend for toddlers and preschoolers to have a set of good quality blocks. There are just so many benefits with playing with blocks. It gives a lot of opportunity for imaginative, creative and open ended play. It also develops hand-eye coordination, spatial awareness, fine motor skills and hand strength.
How to Play the Block Stacking Dice Game:
- The youngest player rolls the dice. Encourage preschoolers to count the number of dots on the dice.
- Now it’s time to stack some blocks… The child starts to build a tower by stacking the number of blocks indicated on the dice.
- The next player rolls the dice. And creates his/her own tower by stacking the number of blocks indicated on the dice.
The game continues until one player’s tower falls down.
Block Stacking Dice Game Variation: For an older set of kids (4-5 year olds), you can make it more challenging by building only ONE tower among all players. That is, on a player’s turn, he or she does NOT build his/her own tower. Rather, this player puts their blocks on top of the existing tower created by the previous player.
Block Stacking Dice Game Benefits for Preschoolers
These are just some of the benefits of a Block Stacking Dice Game for Preschoolers…
- Counting skills are reinforced
- Games improve kids’ social skills, as they are encouraged to take turns
- Block Stacking improves hand eye coordination, hand strength and fine motor skills
- Blocks help kids understand spatial concepts
- Stacking blocks and the game itself enhances logical thinking
- Kids learn to think in advance and experiment, as they learn to prioritize using shapes they think will be more stable than others
- Helps preschoolers focus and concentrate on a task
- It’s fun and challenging. And it can also provide lots of laughs!
Will you be playing this Block Stacking Dice Game with your preschooler? We certainly hope so. It provides a lot of developmental and learning benefits for young kids. It’s easy to set up. And it’s a lot of fun!
Find more play based learning activities using DICE….
Rainbow Bear Dice Game for Preschoolers from Life Over C’s
Place Value Game with Dice from Still Playing School
Rainforest Dice Long and Short Vowel Reading Game from Learning 2 Walk
Preschool Rainbow Grid Game from Preschool Powol Packets
Monster Math: A Dice Simple Math Activity from Play Dough & Popsicles
Fun Shapes Dice Game for Kids from School Time Snippets
Writing Game Using Dice from Teach me Mommy
10-Sided Dice Multiplication Game from Line upon Line Learning
Alphabet Dice Letter Formation Activity from Sugar Aunts
Venn Diagram Dice Probability STEM Activity from Schooling a Monkey
Simple Addition Dice Game from Powerful Mothering
DIY Dice from Sugar Spice & Glitter
This post contains affiliate links